We kind of breezed over St. Patrick’s Day over here as we were recovering from the whirlwind of our Workshop on Sunday/Monday – so we made sure to celebrate one of my favorite holidays with a tasty meal later in the week!!
I have a delicious corned beef recipe from my wonderful Irish mama that is basted with homemade mustard sauce that I absolutely LOVE – so I thought – why not make a Reuben and use the mustard sauce in lieu of thousand island dressing?! And boy am I happy I did!!! I usually use store bought corned beef deli meat for our Reubens, but cooking a corned beef brisket from scratch for these made them 100x better too. YUM.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons horseradish
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/3 cup beef broth
2 teaspoons flour
1. Melt Butter on medium heat in small saucepan.
2. Brown onion in butter.
3. Add remaining ingredients through oregano.
4. Whisk flour in beef broth and add to mustard mixture.
5. Whisk mustard mixture over medium-low heat until it thickens slightly.
1. Buy a corned beef brisket (flat cut).
2. Put corned beef with seasonings (included in package) in large pan and fill with water two inches over the top of the brisket.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and simmer for 3 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. Put brisket in glass or ceramic baking dish.
6. Baste meat with mustard sauce, spreading evenly over meat with a brush.
7. Bake for 45 minutes (basting throughout if necessary)
Corned Beef (see above)
Mustard Sauce (see above)
Sauerkraut (lightly strained)
Swiss Cheese Sandwich Slices
1. Heat frying pan on medium-low heat.
2. Butter exterior of two slices of rye bread.
3. Open bread and layer with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut (I like to heat mine in a small sauce pan first), and mustard sauce.
4. Brown both sides of sandwich in frying pan until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Happy weekending, everybody!!! I dare say this is the perfect recipe to chase down with a beer while you watch all the March Madness ensue!! 😉 See you back here Monday!! xoxo